Saturday, April 19, 2008
Shivgange, a test of physical fitness
Sharada Peet of Sringeri Mutt
Nandi, a symbol of Shiva's power
steps leading to Shivgange peak
Shivgange is an ideal religious cum adventure trip for a family or group of friends. One has to travel on NH4 to reach Dobbaspet and take a left turn beneath the flyover. The total distance is 62 km from Blore.
After seeing the Yoganarasimha and Shiva temple one has to keep ascending
Things to see @ Shivagange are Sharada Peet, Pataganga, Yoganarashima temple, Veerabhadra temple, Hidden water spring ( accessible for lucky people ), and other small temples. Enroute one encounters different sizes of Nandi. There is a subramani temple and augustiya thirta too.
Try your luck to swipe the water from the spring
Ascending the hillock can be very tiresome and not meant for physically unfit. One should take care to wear good cushioned footwear with grip so that one avoids skids and slippery surface. The monkey’s enroute can be nasty, trying to snatch foodstuff and other eatables. They don’t grab at water bottles thankfully. It is better to leave behind foodstuff in the vehicle or at ground zero. Please don t be misguided by people advising you to leave behind your footwear at the ground level.
The temples have been modified with lime or chunna paint, destroying the originality of the Chola and Vijaynagar sculptures. One can witness the original beauty of artisan’s work in the desolate temple just besides Patalganga. These edifices are ignored by the priests and temple management. ASI should initiate proceedings to take over the temple to protect the heritage.
check out the original temple sculpture
Climbing to the peak of the Shivgange is quite physically demanding, it is better to undertake trip early morning @ around 7 am to 8 am or in the evening before 5 pm. One can really enjoy if one is inclined to live upto the challenge of overcoming obstacles in life. If one feels their knees are jerky and obese persons are advised to abort the ascent @ Veerbhadra temple which is the midpoint.
Get your bags packing if you are looking for checking out your physical fitness, forget threadmill test, Shivgange is a real litmus test for physical fitness.
India travel tips
- ► 2011 (63)
- Ooty, queen of hillstation
- Ooty, away concrete jungle
- LUMBINI GARDENS
- Bangalore Fort History
- Shivgange, a test of physical fitness
- Madhugiri Fort, moonlight trekking recommended
- Lake rejuvenated - Hebbal
- KOLAR, Rich heritage of ancient Ganga, Cholas & Vi...
- KOLAR DISTRICT TEMPLE TOUR ( SHOESTRING BUDGET )
- ▼ April (9)
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- Basically i am down to earth, take friendship to its logical end. It is my endeavour to create a wealth of co-operative ventures. Basically being a marketing man i have the acumen to spot winners. I am privileged to travel the length and breadth of the country, courtsey my father, who was with Indianoil, my employers such as Nutrine, Kurl-on, Hindustan Pencils, Prestige, Crystal, Bell Ceramics, Pentel, Sezal, Commander. Currently i am involved in Tourism, Booking Air Tickets, Agent for Jungle Lodges and Resorts Limited and Taj Group of Hotels and a numerous hotels across India. Depending on the needs of a traveller i would recommend the destination and accommodation best suited to their budget. Humour takes me on. Let us have a win win situation for all. I love travelling for sake of adventure, photography and discovering the heritage. Life is a journey and let us enjoy our drive. Come share your travel experience on indiabackpacker.